Connect with us

News

Adamawa Guber Election: INEC Declares Fintiri Winner

Published

on

Adamawa Guber Election: INEC Declares Fintiri Winner

Adamawa Guber Election: INEC Declares Fintiri Winner

Exactly one month after the March 18 governorship elections, Governor Ahmadu Fintiri has emerged as the winner of what some might describe as a drama-filled supplementary election in Adamawa State.

In last Saturday’s rerun, Fintiri, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), polled 9,337 votes besting Senator Aishatu ‘Binani’ Dahiru of the All Progressives Congress (APC) who scored 6,513 votes.

At the end of the entire exercise, Fintiri polled 430,861 votes, defeating Binani who got 398,738 votes.

The announcement by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) at 5:49 pm on Tuesday was preceded by a series of political intrigues.

With last month’s governorship election declared inconclusive by INEC, a supplementary election was scheduled for last Saturday.

RELATED STORY: BREAKING: IGP Replaces Adamawa CP Over Governorship Poll

However, on Sunday, as collation was underway, the state Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Hudu Yunusa Ari, prematurely declared Binani as the winner, contrary to the provisions of the Electoral Act.

Section 25 of the Electoral Act, 2022 empowers only the returning officer to announce the result and declare the winner of an election at the state collation centre in the case of election of a governor of a state.

Incidentally, results had been declared for only 10 of the 20 local government areas (LGAs) in the supplementary poll, which indicated Fintiri was leading, having won in seven LGAs next to Binani’s three.

The declaration by Ari was quickly followed by an acceptance speech by the APC candidate.

In response, irate opposition members took their anger out on an INEC national commissioner, whom they mistook for the REC, assaulting him.

“A former Vice Chancellor of Usman Dan Fodio University, a senior citizen was stripped naked and dragged. This commission will not allow that to stand,” INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Festus Okoye said in a strongly worded statement.

He also urged the security agencies to unmask those behind the that particular act.

“They must be arrested, they must be investigated and they must be prosecuted. A national commissioner cannot be treated as if he or she is a common criminal,” he said.

INEC Moves Against REC
In a swift response to Binani’s declaration as ‘winner’ of the Adamawa governorship election, INEC said the pronouncement is of no effect.

Consequently, INEC suspended the collation of results of the supplementary election in Adamawa and invited the REC, Returning Officer and all officials involved to report back to the Commission’s Headquarters in Abuja.

The electoral body slammed the action of the Adamawa REC, saying it usurped the power of the Returning Officer.

“The attention of the Commission has been drawn to a purported declaration of winner in the Adamawa Governorship election by the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) even when the process has clearly not been concluded,” INEC said in a statement.

“The action of the Resident Electoral Commission is a usurpation of the power of the Returning Officer. It is null, void and of no effect. Consequently, the collation of results of the supplementary election is hereby suspended.”

The commission ordered Ari to stay away from its office in Adamawa until further notice, adding that its Administrative Secretary in Adamawa had been directed to take full charge of INEC in the state, with immediate effect.

Repercussions
INEC, on Tuesday, said it had resolved to write to the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, to probe and prosecute Hudu Ari, the Adamawa REC.

The electoral umpire reached the decision when its national commissioners met at the commission’s national headquarters in Abuja earlier in the day over the election in the state.

In a series of tweets, INEC said, “At its meeting today, 18th April 2023, the Commission discussed matters arising from the Adamawa Governorship election and decided to:

“Write to the Inspector-General of Police for the immediate investigation and possible prosecution of the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Adamawa State, Barr. Hudu Yunusa Ari.

“Request the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to draw the attention of the appointing authority to the unwholesome behaviour of the REC for further action.

“The collation process shall resume at a time to be determined by the Returning Officer.”

Similarly, IGP Baba ordered that the Commissioner of Police on election duty in Adamawa, Mohammed Barde, withdraw from the state with immediate effect.

He also ordered that the Commissioner of Police in charge of Gombe State, CP Etim Equa, immediately proceed to Adamawa State for election security in the remainder of the supplementary poll.

Force PRO Adejobi, addressing journalists in Abuja, said the IGP was committed to a free and fair process.

He said, “The IGP has given directive that the commissioner of police on election security in Adamawa State, CP Barde should pull out of Adamawa State and the Commissioner of Police in charge of Gombe State, CP Etim Equa to proceed to Adamawa immediately, to go and supervise election and provide necessary information and ensure that the process is a success.”

Photo Finish
On March 20, INEC declared last month’s Adamawa governorship election inconclusive by the INEC state collation officer, Prof Muhammadu Mele, due to the margin of votes.

According to the figures announced, Binani had 390,275 votes, while Fintiri got 421,524 votes.

Mele said, “Elections were not held in 47 wards, affecting 69 polling units. So, this gives us a margin of 31,249. The total number of PVCs collected in places where elections were not held amounted to 37,016.”

He added that “based on these findings and analysis as stated in the electoral laws” where the margin between two candidates was lesser than the total number of collected PVCs in areas where elections were not held, the election was declared inconclusive.

Adamawa Guber Election: INEC Declares Fintiri Winner

Continue Reading
1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Federal Government Lodges Complaint Against Daily Trust with NMCC Over Samoa Agreement Report

Published

on

By

Federal Government Lodges Complaint Against Daily Trust with NMCC Over Samoa Agreement Report

Federal Government Lodges Complaint Against Daily Trust with NMCC Over Samoa Agreement Report

The Federal Government has filed a complaint against Daily Trust Newspapers with the National Media Complaints Commission (NMCC), also known as the Ombudsman, regarding a story on the Samoa agreement.

On Sunday, the NMCC confirmed receipt of the government’s complaint and stated that an investigation had begun. The statement was signed by Mr. Emeka Izeze, Chairman, and Mr. Feyi Smith, interim secretary of the NMCC.

The federal government’s complaint, dated July 8, was signed by Dr. Ngozi Onwudiwe, Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation, on behalf of Minister Mohammed Idris.

The government alleged that Daily Trust published an article on July 4, 2024, titled “LGBT: Nigeria Signs $150 Billion Samoa Deal,” containing false and misleading information that poses a severe threat to national security.

According to the complaint, the report claimed that the government had endorsed a European Union (EU) partnership agreement, referred to as the “Samoa Agreement,” with member states of the Organisation of African, Caribbean, and Pacific States (OACPS). The article suggested that the agreement included clauses compelling nations to support LGBTQ community recognition.

The government described the report as “false and misleading” and stated that it had resulted in hate speech, threats, intimidation, and cyberbullying directed at individuals and government officials across social media.

The federal government has requested the NMCC to thoroughly investigate the alleged misleading publication. It has also asked the commission to direct the newspaper’s management to publicly retract and correct the false information with equal prominence as the original article and issue an unequivocal apology. Additionally, the government urged the implementation of stricter editorial guidelines to prevent similar incidents in the future.

The NMCC acknowledged the complaint with a letter dated July 10, signed by Interim Secretary Mr. Feyi Smith, informing the ministry that the complaint was under review. The commission assured that the outcome would be communicated to the government and that the management of Daily Trust would be contacted for their response.

“As an independent media regulatory body, it is our duty to promote media adherence to the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct while ensuring the media operate in a free and unfettered environment,” the NMCC stated.

The commission emphasized that its investigation would be thorough and impartial, with full cooperation from all parties involved. Transparency throughout the process was also pledged.

The National Media Complaints Commission (NMCC) is an independent, multi-stakeholder co-regulatory body established by the Nigerian Press Organisations (NPO), including the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE), and the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ). It collaborates with the Guild of Corporate Online Publishers (GOCOP) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) to resolve complaints about the press while maintaining high standards of journalism practice, ethics, and defending press freedom and the public’s right to know.

Federal Government Lodges Complaint Against Daily Trust with NMCC Over Samoa Agreement Report

Continue Reading

News

Family Narrowly Escapes as Building Collapses in Lagos

Published

on

By

Family Narrowly Escapes as Building Collapses in Lagos

Family Narrowly Escapes as Building Collapses in Lagos

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) announced on Sunday that a family narrowly escaped death when their house on the outskirts of Lagos collapsed.

Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, the agency’s Permanent Secretary, stated that the incident occurred around Adealu Bus-stop in the Ipaja area. LASEMA responded to a distress call received through the 767 and 112 emergency toll-free lines at 10:44 PM on Saturday, July 13.

“The building collapsed at No. 49, Oyinlola Street, off Adealu Bus-stop, Iyana-Ipaja, Lagos. Upon arrival at the scene, investigations revealed that it was the boys’ quarters behind the storey-building that collapsed,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.

“Fortunately, the single family involved managed to escape before the collapse. There were no casualties or fatalities.”

Further investigations indicated that neglect and poor maintenance led to the collapse of the boys’ quarters. The agency’s response team conducted public awareness sessions to inform residents about the dangers of remaining in the compromised structure.

“The main building, which consists of nine rooms downstairs and two flats upstairs, has been cordoned off. All occupants have been advised to vacate the building immediately for their safety,” Oke-Osanyintolu added.

He recommended a manual demolition of the remaining structure and clearing of debris from the collapsed boys’ quarters. Additionally, integrity tests by the Material Testing Laboratory have been suggested to assess the safety of the main building.

Family Narrowly Escapes as Building Collapses in Lagos

Continue Reading

News

Kaduna Police Ban Unlawful Gatherings, Ashura Procession

Published

on

By

Kaduna Police Ban Unlawful Gatherings, Ashura Procession

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The Police Command in Kaduna State has announced a ban on all forms of unlawful gatherings by the proscribed Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), including its planned Ashura procession.

The command’s spokesperson, ASP Mansir Hassan, issued the ban in a statement on Sunday in Kaduna. Hassan stated, “The command has banned every manner of illegal protest in the state.”

This decision follows intelligence reports indicating that the IMN, also known as Shi’ites, plans to hold a procession to mark the 2024 Islamic Ashura day ceremony. Hassan highlighted the violent history associated with these processions, stating, “The said ritual practice has in the recent past been characterized by unimaginable violence leading to the destruction of properties, injuries to persons, and even loss of lives.”

In response, the police command has issued a stern warning to IMN members to abandon their plans for the procession. Hassan emphasized that the command would enforce the law against any individuals or groups, particularly the outlawed IMN, who attempt to defy the ban.

Commissioner of Police for Kaduna State, Mr. Ali Dabigi, reassured law-abiding citizens to continue their activities without fear. He stressed that the state’s hard-earned relative peace would not be compromised by the actions of a few ‘renegades’.

Kaduna Police Ban Unlawful Gatherings, Ashura Procession

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights