Connect with us

News

After May 29, I’ll be far away from Abuja — Buhari

Published

on

After May 29, I’ll be far away from Abuja — Buhari

By Jennifer S Kuwanta

Muhammadu Buhari, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, says he anticipates retiring in Daura, Katsina State, after taking office on May 29.

According to a statement from his spokesperson, Femi Adesina, Buhari made this statement when meeting Catriona Wendy Laing, the departing British High Commissioner to Nigeria, yesterday at the State House in Abuja.

The president said: “I will be as far away from Abuja as possible.”

RELATED STORY:Kim Sae-ron gets N6.9m fine for driving under influence of alcohol

He praised the UK for its help on numerous fronts, especially in the reconstruction of the North East, which had been previously devastated by insurgency.

According to him, many Nigerians consider the UK to be a second home, and he predicted that connections between the two nations will only get stronger.

“In fact, some wealthy Nigerians don’t feel complete till they’ve had a home in the UK,” Buhari added.

Earlier, Laing had said she was sad to be leaving as she’s fascinated by Nigeria, particularly the music, dance, culture, and she’s had “a fabulous time here.”

“I am sad to be leaving. Nigeria is so much fun, I had a fabulous time here, and I will be back. I love the dance, the music, the culture.

“It has been good to experience Nigeria. I have been to over 20 States, and I’ have told my successor to also do the same. I’ll be back, and still travel wider,” she said.

She complimented Buhari on his eight extremely productive years in service and noted how well he had done in keeping the nation united.

After May 29, I’ll be far away from Abuja — Buhari

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Flood: NEMA intensifies campaign against improper waste management in Gombe communities

Published

on

By

Flood: NEMA intensifies campaign against improper waste management in Gombe communities

Flood: NEMA intensifies campaign against improper waste management in Gombe communities

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has taken its campaign on proper waste management to rural dwellers in Kwami Local Government Area of Gombe State as part of measures to mitigate impact of flooding during the rainy season.

Mrs Ummunah Ahmad, the Head of Operations, NEMA , Gombe State office, who led the campaign team to Kwami community said the exercise was to raise public awareness about proper waste management and its effect on flooding.
Ahmad said the campaign was imperative as part of effort to mitigate the impacts of flood disaster through proactive measures as well as reminding communities of their roles in disaster prevention and mitigation.

She told residents of Kwami that the devastating impacts of flood over the years, especially that of 2012, should served as a wake-up call to all stakeholders, hence the reason NEMA was collaborating with stakeholders to manage disaster risks and associated hazards.

According to her, the campaign on flooding is an initiative to save lives and livelihoods during the rainy season.

She said that there was a connection between improper waste disposal and flooding, hence the need for communities to avoid dumping waste indiscriminately in drains.

According to her, flooding will be minimised if residents take seriously proper waste management and to comply with all measures that will ensure a sustainable environment.

She said that her team was in Kwami because it is amongst the five LGAs in Gombe State that are predicted to be under the moderate flood risk areas, listing others to include Dukku, Yamaltu/Deba, Gombe and Funakaye.

“Our message is simple, they should not build houses along waterways or flood prone areas, evacuate from flood prone areas immediately to safer ground, clear drainages and waterways, and adhere to early warning alerts.

“NEMA is concerned about saving lives and property and that is why we are engaging all stakeholders to remind them of their roles as well as call for proactive measures,” she said.

Ahmad commended the Gombe State government for commencing desilting of storm drains as well as building waste collection centres in the state, adding that such was key to minimising impact of flooding in the state.

On his part, Mr Muhammad Khalid, the Special Assistant, Technical to the Executive Secretary of Gombe State Environmental Protection Agency (GOSEPA), Mr Auwalu Baba-Jada urged residents to imbibe the culture of proper waste disposal.

Khalid advised residents to always be vigilant and not encourage actions that could lead to flooding in their communities.
Our correspondent also reports that NEMA had earlier in the day, organised a training for key stakeholders tagged “Waste Segregation, Recycling and Composting Techniques, Proper Waste Management and Flood Preparedness to selected communities in Gombe State.”

The event which was held at Prof. Isa Ali-Pantami ICT Park, Gombe Statr University had participants such as community leaders, NESREA, SEMA, State Fire Service and Federal Firemen, officials of Ministry of Health, Environment, the Police, NSCDC and the media.

Flood: NEMA intensifies campaign against improper waste management in Gombe communities

Continue Reading

National

African Group Backs Okonjo-Iweala for WTO Term

Published

on

By

African Group Backs Okonjo-Iweala for WTO Term

African Group Backs Okonjo-Iweala for WTO Term

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The African Group at the World Trade Organization (WTO) presented a proposal at its General Council (GC) to re-elect Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as director-general of the organization.

Adebayo Thomas, the Director of Press and Public Relations at the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, announced this in a statement in Abuja.

According to him, the proposal is for members to consider Okonjo-Iweala to run for another term as chief executive officer of the organization.

He said the proposal was also to enable the Chair of the General Council (GC) to commence the process of the appointment of the director-general as soon as possible.

He quoted Amb. Abdulhamid Adamu, Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the WTO, at the GC, as saying that members debated the issue.

“All members highlighted Okonjo-Iweala’s efforts and contributions to the organization, which have led to significant progress and development,” Adamu said. “They all affirmed that she deserves to be reappointed as the director-general. Almost 58 members from all regions supported the proposal.”

He added that members resolved that the General Council Chair should start consultations on the appointment process as soon as possible.

In response, Okonjo-Iweala thanked all members and assured them she would respond soon after consulting with her family.

African Group Backs Okonjo-Iweala for WTO Term

Continue Reading

National

SGF Approves Eight New FRSC Deputy Corps Marshals

Published

on

By

SGF Approves Eight New FRSC Deputy Corps Marshals

SGF Approves Eight New FRSC Deputy Corps Marshals

By Halima Abdulkadiri

Sen. George Akume, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), has approved the promotion of eight Assistant Corps Marshals to Deputy Corps Marshals (DCMs) of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC).

Olusegun Ogungbemide, Acting Corps Public Education Officer, announced this in Abuja on Monday.

Three of the new DCMs will proceed to immediate retirement, while the remaining five will fill vacancies in the South South, South East, South West, North Central, and North West geopolitical zones.

The promoted officers are DCM Clement Oladele (North Central), DCM Chidiebere Nkwonta (South East), DCM Sunday Iyamah (South South), DCM Musa Yerima (North West), and DCM Abiodun Akinlade (South West).

The retiring DCMs are Kingsley Agomoh, Jonas Agwu, and Zubairu Mato. SGF Akume praised the transparency of the promotion process and urged the new appointees to commit to the FRSC’s vision of reducing road traffic crashes and creating a safer motoring environment.

FRSC Corps Marshal Shehu Mohammed congratulated the promoted officers and emphasized the increased responsibilities their new ranks entail.

He encouraged them to stay focused and dedicated, and reassured all personnel of ongoing efforts to improve their welfare.

SGF Approves Eight New FRSC Deputy Corps Marshals

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights