Connect with us

News

Forum of ex-councilors honours Buratai with award of excellence

Published

on

Forum of ex-councilors honours Buratai with award of excellence

Forum of ex-councilors honours Buratai with award of excellence

The National Forum of Ex-Councilors, on Thursday honoured a former Chief of Army Staff and former Nigerian Ambassador to Benin Republic, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, with Award of Excellence as a ‘Philanthropist per Excellence’.

While presenting the award, the President of the forum, Mr Awwal Hassan, said it was the first time the forum would be giving out such award to a former service chief.

Hassan said that Buratai earned the award because of his achievements in office as army chief who led the counter-insurgency war from the front and his heart for the vulnerable in the society.

He added that the former COAS also stood out among his contemporaries in the area of philanthropy for helping a lot of vulnerable people in the society in the area of empowerment and education support.

RELATED STORY: Bread: Bakers urge govt. to subsidise cost of cassava flour…

He urged him not to relent in his positive disposition to helping the less privileged and the youth to find their dreams, praying that great opportunities to serve the nation await him.

The Vice President of the forum, Mr Ismaila Mumin said the forum of Ex-Councilors was a Non-Governmental Organisation floated by some concerned youth activists to foster unity in diversity and cordial understanding among the teaming youth in the country.

He said the organisation had vibrant and functional structures in all 774 local governments of Nigeria to sensitise and mobilise the youth to promote peace and peaceful co- existence in their respective areas among others.

He said the governing body of the forum of the decided to give the prestigious award of Excellence as philanthropist per excellence for the year 2022 to Butatai on the basis of his many records of achievements.

“Our decision in this respect is in line with the teaching in our national anthem that the effort of our heroes should not be allow to go in vain,” he said.

Members of the forum also urged Buratai to be ready to vie for political office in future, saying the nation was in need of his experience and patriotism.

Responding, Buratai thanked the forum for recognising his efforts while in service and pledged to continue to support the vulnerable and the less privileged in the society.

He said that a lot had been done to uplift the living conditions of people at the grass roots and it still continuing, saying the award was a true reflection of what Buratai is and what he stood for.

According to him, It is a great honor to him and his family and to the military in general, including the defence correspondents that were with him in the fields as army chief.

According to him, there were several projects right from when he was a colonel supporting the grassroots for them to do trade in farming.

“We started with the woman, the most vulnerable, especially in the rural areas, but later on we extended it to men and youth. So we are continuing.

“So, this award is a true reflection of what Buratai is and what he stands for.

“You also appreciated my service while I was in the army as Chief of Army Staff and I want to assure you that this recognition is highly appreciated and the award is also accepted by me.

“So, such confidence you have reposed in me by giving me this award will not be disappointed or will not be taken for granted. as such,” he said.

On the call to run for office in future, the former ambassador said he was available to take the challenge to serve the people and the nation at all times.

Forum of ex-councilors honours Buratai with award of excellence

Continue Reading
1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Federal Government Lodges Complaint Against Daily Trust with NMCC Over Samoa Agreement Report

Published

on

By

Federal Government Lodges Complaint Against Daily Trust with NMCC Over Samoa Agreement Report

Federal Government Lodges Complaint Against Daily Trust with NMCC Over Samoa Agreement Report

The Federal Government has filed a complaint against Daily Trust Newspapers with the National Media Complaints Commission (NMCC), also known as the Ombudsman, regarding a story on the Samoa agreement.

On Sunday, the NMCC confirmed receipt of the government’s complaint and stated that an investigation had begun. The statement was signed by Mr. Emeka Izeze, Chairman, and Mr. Feyi Smith, interim secretary of the NMCC.

The federal government’s complaint, dated July 8, was signed by Dr. Ngozi Onwudiwe, Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation, on behalf of Minister Mohammed Idris.

The government alleged that Daily Trust published an article on July 4, 2024, titled “LGBT: Nigeria Signs $150 Billion Samoa Deal,” containing false and misleading information that poses a severe threat to national security.

According to the complaint, the report claimed that the government had endorsed a European Union (EU) partnership agreement, referred to as the “Samoa Agreement,” with member states of the Organisation of African, Caribbean, and Pacific States (OACPS). The article suggested that the agreement included clauses compelling nations to support LGBTQ community recognition.

The government described the report as “false and misleading” and stated that it had resulted in hate speech, threats, intimidation, and cyberbullying directed at individuals and government officials across social media.

The federal government has requested the NMCC to thoroughly investigate the alleged misleading publication. It has also asked the commission to direct the newspaper’s management to publicly retract and correct the false information with equal prominence as the original article and issue an unequivocal apology. Additionally, the government urged the implementation of stricter editorial guidelines to prevent similar incidents in the future.

The NMCC acknowledged the complaint with a letter dated July 10, signed by Interim Secretary Mr. Feyi Smith, informing the ministry that the complaint was under review. The commission assured that the outcome would be communicated to the government and that the management of Daily Trust would be contacted for their response.

“As an independent media regulatory body, it is our duty to promote media adherence to the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct while ensuring the media operate in a free and unfettered environment,” the NMCC stated.

The commission emphasized that its investigation would be thorough and impartial, with full cooperation from all parties involved. Transparency throughout the process was also pledged.

The National Media Complaints Commission (NMCC) is an independent, multi-stakeholder co-regulatory body established by the Nigerian Press Organisations (NPO), including the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE), and the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ). It collaborates with the Guild of Corporate Online Publishers (GOCOP) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) to resolve complaints about the press while maintaining high standards of journalism practice, ethics, and defending press freedom and the public’s right to know.

Federal Government Lodges Complaint Against Daily Trust with NMCC Over Samoa Agreement Report

Continue Reading

News

Family Narrowly Escapes as Building Collapses in Lagos

Published

on

By

Family Narrowly Escapes as Building Collapses in Lagos

Family Narrowly Escapes as Building Collapses in Lagos

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) announced on Sunday that a family narrowly escaped death when their house on the outskirts of Lagos collapsed.

Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, the agency’s Permanent Secretary, stated that the incident occurred around Adealu Bus-stop in the Ipaja area. LASEMA responded to a distress call received through the 767 and 112 emergency toll-free lines at 10:44 PM on Saturday, July 13.

“The building collapsed at No. 49, Oyinlola Street, off Adealu Bus-stop, Iyana-Ipaja, Lagos. Upon arrival at the scene, investigations revealed that it was the boys’ quarters behind the storey-building that collapsed,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.

“Fortunately, the single family involved managed to escape before the collapse. There were no casualties or fatalities.”

Further investigations indicated that neglect and poor maintenance led to the collapse of the boys’ quarters. The agency’s response team conducted public awareness sessions to inform residents about the dangers of remaining in the compromised structure.

“The main building, which consists of nine rooms downstairs and two flats upstairs, has been cordoned off. All occupants have been advised to vacate the building immediately for their safety,” Oke-Osanyintolu added.

He recommended a manual demolition of the remaining structure and clearing of debris from the collapsed boys’ quarters. Additionally, integrity tests by the Material Testing Laboratory have been suggested to assess the safety of the main building.

Family Narrowly Escapes as Building Collapses in Lagos

Continue Reading

News

Kaduna Police Ban Unlawful Gatherings, Ashura Procession

Published

on

By

Kaduna Police Ban Unlawful Gatherings, Ashura Procession

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The Police Command in Kaduna State has announced a ban on all forms of unlawful gatherings by the proscribed Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), including its planned Ashura procession.

The command’s spokesperson, ASP Mansir Hassan, issued the ban in a statement on Sunday in Kaduna. Hassan stated, “The command has banned every manner of illegal protest in the state.”

This decision follows intelligence reports indicating that the IMN, also known as Shi’ites, plans to hold a procession to mark the 2024 Islamic Ashura day ceremony. Hassan highlighted the violent history associated with these processions, stating, “The said ritual practice has in the recent past been characterized by unimaginable violence leading to the destruction of properties, injuries to persons, and even loss of lives.”

In response, the police command has issued a stern warning to IMN members to abandon their plans for the procession. Hassan emphasized that the command would enforce the law against any individuals or groups, particularly the outlawed IMN, who attempt to defy the ban.

Commissioner of Police for Kaduna State, Mr. Ali Dabigi, reassured law-abiding citizens to continue their activities without fear. He stressed that the state’s hard-earned relative peace would not be compromised by the actions of a few ‘renegades’.

Kaduna Police Ban Unlawful Gatherings, Ashura Procession

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights