Connect with us

News

Land grabbing: Sanusi, Ibadan traditional chiefs petition Makinde, IGP over alleged unlawful arrests

Published

on

Land grabbing: Sanusi, Ibadan traditional chiefs petition Makinde, IGP over alleged unlawful arrests

Land grabbing: Sanusi, Ibadan traditional chiefs petition Makinde, IGP over alleged unlawful arrests

Twenty-three traditional and senior chiefs in Ona-Ara Local Government Area of Oyo State have petitioned Gov. Seyi Makinde and the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Baba, over alleged unlawful arrests and threats to their lives.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that one of the senior chiefs, Dotun Sanusi, made the petition available to newsmen on Thursday in Ibadan on behalf of all the affected chiefs.

NAN also reports that the petition was entitled: “Threat to life, unlawful arrest, intimidation and illegal acquisition of 95 acres of land at Akintola village, Akanran, Ona-Ara Local Government of Oyo State.”

RELATED STORY: Naira Redesign: Anambra Residents Decry Sudden Disappearance Of New N200, N500, N1,000 Notes

The petitioners complained of unlawful arrests, harassment, intimidation and threats to the lives of Akanran residents by a suspected land grabber, allegedly aided by officers from the office of a Deputy Inspector General of Police in Abuja.

Copies of the petition were submitted to the state Chief Judge, Assistant Inspector-General of Police, Zone XI, Commissioner of Police, Oyo State, Director, Department of State Security, Oyo State and Chairman, Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Oyo State council.

The petitioners appealed to the governor, the inspector-general of police and others to use their good offices to investigate the matter and bring the culprits to book.

The petitioners described the ongoing invitations being extended to residents of the council area over the alleged influence of an Ibeju-Lekki-based chief as provocative.

“After a crucial meeting held on Wednesday, we write to inform your office about threat to life, unlawful arrest, intimidation, harassment and illegal acquisition of 95 acres of land at Akintola village, Akanran,” they said.

The petitioners claimed that the alleged nefarious activities were being perpetrated by the chief, whom they described as the chief promoter of an estate agency.

They alleged that the estate promoter was perpetrating the act allegedly in connivance with an officer from the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Department (FCIID), Area 10, Abuja.

The petitioners said that the disputed land had been resolved by an Oyo State High Court, sitting in Ibadan, in a suit number: I/443/2014.

They recalled that Justice G.A. Sunmonu had, on March 19, 2020, delivered a judgment in favour of one Alhaji Rasheed Eniayenfe Ojo and Good Foundation Social Club, who, they said, were the defendants in the case.

“The claimants in the case are: Alhaji Gbolagade Obisesan, Mr Babatunde Babajide, Latifu Ejibiyi Akintola, Isiaka Ejibiyi Akintola, Musa Ejibiyi Akintola, Bilikisu Sangodairo Akintola, and Afusat Sangodiran Akintola,’ they said.

The petitioners said that the claimants, with the assistance of the Ibeju-Lekki-based chief, in disregard to the court judgment, mobilised their men and other suspected land grabbers to the hitherto disputed land to dislodge the legal owners/occupants.

“The claimants in the case did not appeal the judgment of the high court till date.

“They knew that the evidence before the court will always vindicate the legal owners/occupants of the land. Therefore, they have resorted to self-help, which necessitated this petition,” they said.

The petitioners said that during the alleged unlawful invasion, the occupants of the land were harassed, extorted and dehumanised, while the Baale of Akanran, Chief Yekini Obisesan, was forced to flee his domain.

They said that the occupants of the land alleged threat to their lives, adding one of the victims of the activities of the land grabbers was Alhaji Rasheed Eniayenfe.

The petitioners said that Eniayenfe was arrested at Akanran and later moved to the FCIID, Area 10, Abuja, via the Divisional Police Headquarters, Orita-Challenge in Ibadan.

They said that the arrest was effected without recourse to the police command in the state.

“One of the leaders of the communities, Chief Dotun Sanusi was also put on arrest radar of the said police department, Area 10, Abuja on April 27 at 11:00 a.m.

“He has been invited for interview over cooked threat to life, assault, criminal conspiracy and trespass.

“He is to appear before the Deputy Inspector-General of Police, FCCIID, through the office of DCP (Gender), FCIID, Area 10, Abuja,” they said.

According to them, Sanusi, Chairman of the popular Ilaji Hotel and Resort, Akanran, doesn’t have anything to do with the disputed land, adding he was roped so that he won’t be able to intervene in the matter.

The petitioners said the development, especially the alleged unlawful arrest, intimidation and harassment, had forced the people of Akanran to leave the community in droves.

“The land grabbers have also threatened that they would grab 250 acres of land for their estate in Akanran,” they said.

“The baales and elders have been prevailing on our people not to take laws into their hands, hence the decision to notify your office about this ugly situation in our community, for your prompt action.

‘We, therefore, appeal to you to use your good office to investigate the matter and bring the culprits to book,’ they said.

NAN reports that the petitioners include: Yekini Obisesan (Baale Akanran); Baale Jimoh Aderemi (Baale Bioku-Gbogun); Baale David Ibikunle (Baale Oke-Ogun) and Baale Moses Taiwo (Baale Ojoku).

Also among them are: Baale Suara Ogunyemi (Baale Akita Araowu); Baale Alawaye Toheeb Oyebode (Baale Alawaye) and several others.

Land grabbing: Sanusi, Ibadan traditional chiefs petition Makinde, IGP over alleged unlawful arrests

Continue Reading
2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

N70,000 Wage Not Solution to Economic Issues

Published

on

By

N70,000 Wage Not Solution to Economic Issues

N70,000 Wage Not Solution to Economic Issues

By Halima Abdulkadiri

Chairman of the Labour Party (LP) in Oyo State, Sadiq Atayese, has stated that the newly-approved N70,000 minimum wage for Nigerian workers is not the solution to the country’s economic challenges.

Atayese made this assertion in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Ibadan.

He emphasized that sustainable solutions to the cost of living require positive economic policies from the government. Atayese highlighted the exchange rate as a key factor influencing fuel costs and subsidies.

He stressed that the government must prioritize fighting corruption and implementing policies beyond just increasing the minimum wage. According to Atayese, corruption in high places accounts for over 90 percent of corruption cases in Nigeria.

“Will this new minimum wage actually assuage the daily rising costs of foods and services? Can it bring a stable solution to the nation’s economic challenges? The answer is No,” he said.

Atayese also urged the government to focus on agricultural development and address issues such as security and funding for effective farming. He believes that addressing these critical issues would have more significant benefits than even a minimum wage of N150,000.

“Labour Party will continue to stand for the wellbeing of the people and development of the society,” he said.

The Federal Government and labor unions recently agreed on N70,000 as the new minimum wage for Nigerian workers. Initially, the government proposed N60,000, which was raised to N62,000, while labor demanded N494,000 before revising it to N250,000. Labor leaders agreed to the N70,000 offer due to additional incentives attached.

N70,000 Wage Not Solution to Economic Issues

Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Army Reinforces Ban on Camouflage Misuse

Published

on

By

Nigerian Army Reinforces Ban on Camouflage Misuse

Nigerian Army Reinforces Ban on Camouflage Misuse

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The Nigerian Army (NA) has reiterated that the ban on the unauthorized use of military camouflage remains in full effect.

The Director of Army Public Relations, Maj.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, emphasized this in a statement on Sunday while addressing a video showing a soldier harassing a civilian for wearing an Army Desert Camouflage uniform.

Nwachukwu clarified that the footage is an old video being circulated by individuals with malicious intent to create tension between the military and civilians.

He stated that only personnel of the Armed Forces of Nigeria and the Nigeria Police Force are legally permitted to wear military camouflage.

Nwachukwu explained that the regulation is necessary because terrorists, insurgents, and impostors have exploited the misuse of military camouflage to commit crimes, posing a significant security threat.

“The Nigerian Army remains committed to upholding the law and ensuring the safety and security of all citizens.

“We urge the public to disregard the re-circulated video and remain vigilant against attempts to sow discord and tension within the country.

“The incident in question occurred in 2021, and the army took immediate and decisive action at that time.

“The soldier involved was arrested, tried, and appropriately punished for his unacceptable behavior, which violated the core values of the Nigerian Army, particularly the respect for others and their fundamental rights,” he said.

Nigerian Army Reinforces Ban on Camouflage Misuse

Continue Reading

News

Hisbah Destroys N60m Alcohol, Drugs in Katsina

Published

on

By

Hisbah Destroys N60m Alcohol, Drugs in Katsina

Hisbah Destroys N60m Alcohol, Drugs in Katsina

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The Katsina State Hisbah Board has destroyed alcohol and other illicit drugs worth N60 million in Funtua Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.

Dr. Aminu Usman, the Hisbah Commander in the state, disclosed this to newsmen on Sunday.

According to Usman, no fewer than 1,750 crates of alcohol and about 33 jerry cans of locally-brewed beer were recently seized and destroyed in Funtua.

Usman explained that this effort is part of their mandate to ensure good morals among the people in the state.

He commended the board’s officials for their dedication and urged them to redouble their commitment.

He also sought the support of religious leaders, emphasizing that Hisbah does not belong to any particular group or sect. Usman praised Gov. Dikko Radda for his full support in helping the board discharge its responsibilities.

Usman appealed to the public for genuine information on places where immoral behaviors are committed. He called on parents, teachers, and community leaders to intensify efforts in instilling discipline and good morals among youths in their communities.

Hisbah Destroys N60m Alcohol, Drugs in Katsina

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights