Connect with us

Court

My mother-in-law told me to get her daughter pregnant before marriage, man tells court

Published

on

My mother in-law told me to get her daughter pregnant before marriage, man tells court

My mother-in-law told me to get her daughter pregnant before marriage, man tells court

A divorce-seeking man, Basiru Sodiq, on Wednesday told a Mapo Grade ‘A’ Customary Court in Ibadan that his mother-in-law begged him to get her daughter, Amdalat pregnant before marriage.

Sodiq, made this known in his counterargument against his wife’s allegation of lack of care and gross irresponsibility leveled against him.

”I acted according to the wishes of my mother-in-law, She later did 90 degrees and denied me in the presence of the entire household.

“I don’t actually know what went wrong. Her parents simply told me that they will never allow their daughter to be with me.

“She also denied me access to the child,” Sodiq said.

Amdalat, a fashion designer, had earlier informed the court that her estranged lover was not responsible, hence, not caring for her and the three-year-old child.

RELATED STORY: Tinubu’s Rally: APC PCC Seeks Understanding Of Lagos Residents

“My lord, since I gave birth, Sodiq only gave me N1,500 twice and a baby dress, he kept dodging his responsibilities.

“Sodiq has no regards for my parents because he disrespects them.

“When our child was ready to start school, I contacted Sodiq, but he did nothing concerning the school fees and any other payment.

“There is no valid marriage between us, please compel him to take full responsibility,” Amdalat stated.

Delivering judgment, the court’s President, Mrs S.M. Akintayo held that there was nothing to dissolve between Sodiq and Amdalat because there was no marriage in the first place.

Akintayo said that there was no evidence before the court that bride price and other important things necessary for a marriage to be described as a customary one were presented by the respondent.

She however, granted the order awarding custody of the child to the petitioner.

Akintayo also directed Sodiq to pay a monthly feeding allowance of N10,000 for the child’s upkeep.

She granted the order restraining Sodiq from disturbing, harassing, intimidating and interfering in the private life of Amdalat.

The court’s president directed the duo to be jointly responsible for the child’s education and other welfare.

Furthermore, she ordered Amdalat not to deny Sodiq access to the child. 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Court

Jos Court Ends 16-Year ‘Loveless’ Marriage

Published

on

By

Jos Court Ends 16-Year 'Loveless' Marriage
Jos Court Ends 16-Year 'Loveless' Marriage

Jos Court Ends 16-Year ‘Loveless’ Marriage

By Halima Abdulkadiri

An Area Court in Jos has dissolved a 16-year marriage between Hussaina Abdullahi and her husband, Saidu Ali, citing lack of love and peace.

Delivering the judgment on Friday, Judge Lawal Suleiman granted Abdullahi’s request for divorce. The judge awarded custody of the couple’s two children to Abdullahi and ordered Ali to pay N30,000 monthly through the court for their upkeep. Additionally, Ali was instructed to cover the children’s school fees.

Prior to the divorce ruling, Abdullahi informed the court that she married Saidu in 2008. She stated, “Our marriage lacks peace and love. I no longer love Saidu and can no longer live with him as his wife.”

She also expressed her willingness to refund the N40,000 dowry paid by Saidu and sought custody of their children.

Jos Court Ends 16-Year ‘Loveless’ Marriage

Continue Reading

Court

CCNE Applauds Supreme Court for Releasing Local Government Funds

Published

on

By

CCNE Applauds Supreme Court for Releasing Local Government Funds

CCNE Applauds Supreme Court for Releasing Local Government Funds

The Concerned Citizens of North East (CCNE), a non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting good governance, transparency, and accountability, has welcomed a recent Supreme Court ruling mandating the immediate release of funds earmarked for local government areas (LGAs).

The was contained in a press statement signed by CCNE’s Secretary General Babangida Inuwa Muhammad, marks a significant victory for grassroots development and governance in the region.

The Supreme Court’s decision addresses longstanding issues of fund misallocation and diversion that have impeded local development efforts.

By upholding constitutional provisions ensuring direct allocation of funds to LGAs, the court has bolstered principles of transparency, accountability, and effective governance.

CCNE views this ruling as pivotal, asserting that it empowers local authorities and strengthens the foundation for sustainable development across communities.

“This landmark decision ensures that LGAs receive the financial resources necessary for development and governance, reinforcing transparency, accountability, and good governance principles,” stated CCNE in their press release.

The organization emphasized the ruling’s potential to revitalize local governance, enabling communities to better tackle their unique challenges through empowered local authorities. CCNE called upon relevant authorities to promptly implement the court’s decision, ensuring funds are utilized judiciously to benefit residents.

“We believe this judgment will enhance LGAs’ capacity to deliver essential services, improve infrastructure, and drive socio-economic development,” CCNE affirmed.

CCNE also urged local officials to transparently and efficiently allocate funds, prioritizing projects that directly benefit residents.

They pledged to monitor the judgment’s implementation closely, collaborating with stakeholders to promote accountability and good governance at all levels within the region.

“This ruling signifies a renewed commitment to decentralization and local governance, crucial for addressing community-specific challenges,” CCNE added.

Looking ahead, CCNE reiterated its commitment to advocating for the rights and welfare of Northeastern communities, ensuring local authorities are equipped to drive sustainable development.

They affirmed their ongoing role in safeguarding community interests and fostering an environment conducive to transparent and effective governance.

However, CCNE’s support for the Supreme Court’s decision reflects a broader commitment to advancing accountable governance and empowering local communities.

By championing the efficient use of allocated funds and advocating for sustained development efforts, CCNE aims to foster a region where grassroots needs are met and local governance thrives.

CCNE Applauds Supreme Court for Releasing Local Government Funds

Continue Reading

Court

South Korean court acquits ex-Supreme Court chief justice of 47 charges

Published

on

By

South Korean court acquits ex-Supreme Court chief justice of 47 charges

South Korean court acquits ex-Supreme Court chief justice of 47 charges

A South Korean court on Friday acquitted former Supreme Court Chief Justice, Yang Sung-tae, of all 47 charges related to his alleged abuse of judiciary power.

This includes allegations he unfairly influenced politically sensitive trials under ousted former President Park Geun-hye.

The Seoul Central District Court also acquitted two other former Supreme Court justices, Park Byong-dae and Ko Young-han, who were indicted in the same case.

“I express my respect for the court, which ruled clearly on an obvious case,” Yang said as he left the court after the ruling.

Yang, who headed the top court from 2011 to 2017, was accused of having used trials as bargaining chips in dealings with the Park administration to promote his bid to establish a court of appeals.

He was also suspected of having pressed subordinates at the National Court Administration, the top court’s governing body, to devise plans to influence politically sensitive trials for Park.

Read Also: Plateau Attacks: OPSH Arrests Suspects, Recovers Weapons

It included a compensation suit pursued by victims of Japan’s wartime forced labour.

Prosecutors had demanded prison terms of seven years for Yang, five years for Park and four years for Ko.

The court said most of the charges against some of Yang’s subordinates, including those of abuse of power, could not be proven, and even if they were found partially guilty.

The evidence submitted by the prosecution was insufficient to prove Yang colluded with them.

The former chief justice was indicted under arrest in February 2019 over his suspected role in the power abuse scandal.

He was released on bail in July that year following 179 days of detention.

The sentencing hearing lasted an unusually long four and half hours, due to the vast number of charges involved, and was even adjourned for a 10-minute break.

The Seoul Central District Prosecutors Office said it planned to thoroughly study the details of the ruling before deciding whether to appeal.

Yang was the first chief justice ever to have been arrested as a criminal suspect. 

South Korean court acquits ex-Supreme Court chief justice of 47 charges

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights