Connect with us

Defence & Security

Nigerian Army provides free medical services in Kogi

Published

on

Nigerian Army provides free medical services in Kogi

Nigerian Army provides free medical services in Kogi

The Nigerian Army on Thursday provided free medical services for the people of Eika-Ohizenyi communities in Okehi Local Government Area of Kogi.

Newsmen reports that the Nigerian Army provided the free medical services as part of its Civil-Military Cooperation (CIMIC)-related activities.

Speaking at the event, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Farouk Yahaya, said the medical outreach was carefully planned to cater for the identified common health challenges of the indigenes in the communities.

This, he said, would enhance the existing cordial relationship and boost the support the Nigerian Army had enjoyed from the people.

The COAS, who was represented by the Commander, Headquarters Command Army Records (CAR), Maj.-Gen. Sunday Igbinomwanhia, said the free medical outreach was in continuation of exercise Enduring Peace II, recently inaugurated by the Nigerian Army.

RELATED STORY: I-G deploys new CPs for 3 states, 5 formations

The COAS said it was in line with his vision of a professional Nigerian Army, ready to accomplish assigned missions within a joint environment in defence of Nigeria.

Yahaya explained that in pursuance of his vision, he had ensured that the Nigerian Army formations and units paid adequate attention to the non-kinetic aspect of the military operations.

He said that conscious efforts had been made to cater for pregnant women and nursing mothers by making provisions for the distribution of treated mosquito nets during the outreach.

According to the COAS, aside the free drugs to be dispensed, free medicated eye glasses would also be distributed to people with sight challenges.

He stressed that Nigerian Army had enjoyed and would continue to enjoy the support and cooperation of the good citizens of Kogi in surmounting the challenges of insecurity in the state and the nation in general.

The COAS appealed to the people to see the medical outreach as evidence of the cooperation between the Nigerian Army and Kogi residents.

“Let it foster the desired peace, progress and prosperity in these communities and the entire Kogi,“ h said.

The COAS assured the people that the Nigerian Army, in conjunction with other sister security agencies, was working assiduously to rid the country of criminal activities and all forms of insecurity.

He thanked Gov. Yahaya Bello for his support in making the apparatus of the Kogi State Government available for military operations.

He also commended the heads of all the sister security agencies for the seamless synergy in their efforts to rid the state of criminal elements.

Yahaya urged the people to continue to live in peace and harmony and to be tolerant of one another.

In his remarks, Bello commended the COAS for the medical outreach and for ensuring adequate security in the state.

Bello, who was represented by the State Security Adviser, Commander Jerry Omodara (rtd.), advised the people to be well informed and to use the opportunity to give credible information to the security agencies to rid the state of criminal elements.

The Chairman of Okehi Local Government Area, Mr Abdulraheem Ohiare, praised the COAS for the gesture and for restoring peace to the area.

According to Ohiare, the area had been a den of criminals, noting that Eika Police Station was burnt down twice and many people killed.

“We thank the Nigerian Army and other security agencies for restoring peace to our communities,” he said.

Some of the beneficiaries of the outreach, Mrs Sabiat Abdulkadiri, Mrs Hajara Salihu and Hajia Habibat Sadiq, all praised the COAS for the free medical treatment and free drugs.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Defence & Security

VIO Mayors Launch Safety Drive Against Reckless Driving

Published

on

By

VIO Mayors Launch Safety Drive Against Reckless Driving

VIO Mayors Launch Safety Drive Against Reckless Driving

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The Directorate of Road Traffic Services (DRTS) is launching “Operation Safety Drive” in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) to curb reckless driving and reduce road accidents.

Dr. Yusuf Suberu, Squadron Leader of the Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) Mayors of the Federation, announced this initiative in an interview with o24news on Sunday in Abuja. The program will enforce traffic regulations, conduct vehicle inspections, and educate motorists on safe driving practices.

Suberu stated that driver actions contribute to 94% of all Road Traffic Crashes (RTCs). The program aims to address this by focusing on drivers’ behaviors such as speeding and inattention.

As part of the safety drive, VIO mayors will deploy inspection teams to major highways and intersections to monitor traffic law compliance. Violating motorists will face penalties, including fines, license suspensions, and mandatory safety seminars.

The VIO mayors will collaborate with local communities and stakeholders to promote road safety awareness and encourage responsible driving habits. Suberu emphasized the collective responsibility for safety and urged motorists to support the initiative.

Running from August 1 to December 31, the initiative will be monitored and adjusted as needed. The aim is to significantly reduce road crashes and enhance safety for all FCT road users.

O24news reports that VIO mayors are volunteers assisting professional traffic managers in the 36 states and FCT to ease traffic challenges through a volunteerism approach.

Continue Reading

Defence & Security

263 Boko Haram Terrorists, Families Surrender to Multinational Joint Task Force

Published

on

263 Boko Haram Terrorists, Families Surrender to Multinational Joint Task Force

263 Boko Haram Terrorists, Families Surrender to Multinational Joint Task Force

By Halima Abdulkadiri

The Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) combating insurgency in the Lake Chad region has announced that 263 Boko Haram terrorists and their families have surrendered to its troops. This information was disclosed in a statement by Lt.-Col. Abubakar Abdullahi, Chief Military Public Information Officer of MNJTF, based in N’djamena, Chad.

Lt.-Col. Abdullahi revealed that the surrenders occurred between July 11 and July 17, 2024, during the ongoing Operation Lake Sanity II. The wave of surrenders initially began on July 1, when five terrorists gave themselves up to MNJTF troops in Wulgo, located on the Nigeria-Cameroon border. Preliminary reports indicate these individuals originated from Tumbuma and Kutumgulla in Marte Local Government Area (LGA), Nigeria.

On the same day, 50-year-old Malum Kori Bukar escaped from the Jibilaram hideout and surrendered to the troops. Additionally, on July 11, 19 terrorists surrendered in the village of Madaya in extreme North Cameroon, and another 11 surrendered in Wulgo from the Tumbuma hideout in two waves.

The following day, July 12, 64 individuals, including 6 adult males, 20 women, and 38 children, surrendered in Bonderi, Cameroon. Moreover, on July 13, 27 terrorists surrendered.

Lt.-Col. Abdullahi noted that preliminary investigations revealed all surrendered individuals were from Nigerian communities. As a result, they have been handed over to the troops of Operation HADIN KAI for further action.

263 Boko Haram Terrorists, Families Surrender to Multinational Joint Task Force

Continue Reading

Defence & Security

Military making operational adjustment to protect farmers – DHQ

Published

on

By

Military making operational adjustment to protect farmers – DHQ

Military making operational adjustment to protect farmers – DHQ

By Sumaila Ogbaje

The Defence Headquarters says operational adjustments have been made by the military to prioritise protection for farmers to ensure a successful rainy season farming.

The Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Edward Buba, made this known on Friday in Abuja while giving updates on the operations of the armed forces.

Buba said the armed forces had intensified intelligence collection effort targeted at hunting terrorists and striking them where they may be hiding and hibernating.

He said the aim was to eliminate the terrorists and the infrastructure that supports their activities.

According to him, troops will continue to employ significant firepower to neutralise terrorists and disrupt their activities across the country.

“Winning the war against the terrorist is non-negotiable,” he said.

Buba said the troops had, in different operations, neutralised 220, apprehended 395 suspects and rescued 202 kidnapped hostages in the last one week.

He added that troops recovered 432 assorted weapons and 9,004 assorted ammunition comprising three PKT guns, one G3 rifle, 83 AK47 rifles and 18 locally-fabricated guns.

Also recovered were 16 dane guns, 14 RPG bombs, one RPG launcher, two tear gas launchers, 234 smoke grenades and one bandolier.

Others include 5,893 rounds of 7.62mm special ammo, 2,064 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 401 rounds of 9mm ammo, 200 rounds of 7.62 x 54mm, 154 rounds of 7.62 x 51mm, 195 live cartridges, and 17 magazines.

In the North-East, Buba said, the troops of Operation Hadin Kai neutralised 83 terrorists, arrested 98 suspects and rescued 61 kidnappers hostages.

Assorted arms were also recovered, he added.

In the North-Central, troops of Operations Safe Haven and Whirl Stroke neutralised 37 insurgents, arrested 102 violent extremists and rescued 113 kidnapped hostages, he said.

In the North-West, Buba said the troops of Operations Hadarin Daji and Whirl Punch, neutralised 78 terrorists, arrested 103 terrorists and rescued 68 kidnapped hostages.

Buba said the troops of Operation Delta Safe in the Niger Delta area discovered and destroyed 105 illegal refining sites with 51 dugout pits, 38 boats and 51 storage tanks.

He said the troops also recovered 215 cooking ovens, two speedboats, 44 drums, three tug boats, three barges, four wheelbarrows, one outboard engine, 15 vehicles, three motorcycles and six mobile phones.

According to him, troops recovered 1.09 million litres of stolen crude oil, 1.1 million litres of illegally refined AGO, 27,350 litres of DPK and 150 litres of PMS.

“Troops also arrested 55 perpetrators of oil theft and denied the oil thieves an estimated sum of N1.8 billion,” he said.

In the South-East, Buba said the troops of Operation UDO KA neutralised 22 terrorists, arrested 37 violent extremists, rescued 15 kidnapped hostages and also recovered a large cache of arms.

Military making operational adjustment to protect farmers – DHQ

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights