Connect with us

Education

364 blind candidates to write 2023 UTME

Published

on

364 blind candidates to write 2023 UTME

364 blind candidates to write 2023 UTME

A total of 364 blind candidates are to sit for the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in 11 centres across the country.

The Chairman, JAMB Equal Opportunity Group (JEOG) Prof. Peter Okebukola, said this while providing the highlights of the 2023 examination on Thursday in Abuja.

Okebukola commended the JAMB Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, for the special arrangement for this category of Nigerians.

According to him, the goal of the Oloyede-led JAMB is to ensure that no Nigerian who is eligible, is prevented from taking the UTME regardless of disability.

He said that from 2017, JEOG had processed about 2,600 candidates for the UTME with over a third admitted to courses of their choice in higher education institutions in Nigeria, mainly universities.

He added that the initiative had been cited in the last four years in several countries, as a good model for Africa.

”The mode of examination administration is blended- use of Personal Computers (PCs) and use of the traditional Braille slate and stylus/typewriters in writing answers to questions that are read out by a subject expert.

”The blind candidates take the same test items as those who are not blind,” he said.

Okebukola who is also the Chairman,  Governing Board of the National Open University of Nigeria NOUN revealed that JAMB had approved that from 2024, there would be a gradual migration to the full CBT mode customised for blind candidates.

He said that a pilot run was to be conducted later in the year to test this mode while also giving options to candidates who chose for fully Braille, fully CBT and full read-aloud modes.

“There are exciting times ahead for blind candidates and others with disabilities in realisation of the dream of Professor Is-had Oloyede for equal opportunity.

 “So far, a good number of blind candidates processed through JEOG have secured admission to federal, state and private universities, polytechnics and colleges of education.

“In 2019, of the 390 candidates, a total of 175 (44.8 per cent) were given admission. This was unprecedented in the history of admission of such category of students into the Nigerian higher education system.

RELATED STORY: Two Ex-Convicts, 46 Others, Arrested For Internet Fraud In Kaduna

“In 2020, 89 of the 351 blind candidates (25 per cent) that sat for the UTME got admissions.

”In 2021, a total of 110 blind candidates were given admission, out of the 332 that sat for the UTME.

”This 33 per cent admission of blind candidates to higher education in an annual cohort is unprecedented in the African higher education system,” he said.

He added that in 2022, 139 candidates out of the 364 candidates that took the UTME (38 per cent) were admitted to the higher institution of their choice.

He said five of the blind candidates scored above 270 in the 2022 UTME,  while 92 scored above 200.

”When compared proportionally with the non-blind candidates, the blind candidates are doing as well, if not better than the visually unimpaired candidates.

“The 2023 exercise is taking place in 11 centres nationwide. This is in the interest of bringing the venue of the examination closer to the candidates,  especially with the security situation in the country.

“The centres are coordinated by seasoned academics and university administrators. The total number of candidates is 364,” he said.

Okebukola added that JEOG was already implementing a strategic plan of gradually increasing the ICT component of administration of the UTME to match improvement in ICT usage for the education of the blind in the tertiary institutions.

The examination, being conducted by the board for the visually impaired candidates would hold from  April 27  to  29, under the supervision of the JAMB Equal Opportunity Group (JEOG). 

364 blind candidates to write 2023 UTME

Continue Reading
1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

UniMaid Students uses street light to read over inadequate power supply

Published

on

UniMaid Students uses street light to read over inadequate power supply

UniMaid Students uses street light to read over inadequate power supply

UniMaid Students using street light to read at night courtesy of solar power. Definitely they are not Lazy youths.

Federal Government need to support alternative energies to ensure 24 hours power supply in all public educational institutions.

UniMaid Students uses street light to read over inadequate power supply

Continue Reading

Education

Students loan application portal opens May 24 – NELFUND

Published

on

By

Students loan application portal opens May 24 - NELFUND

Students loan application portal opens May 24 – NELFUND

By Funmilayo Adeyemi

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND), has announced May 24 as official date for the opening of portal for student loan applications.

The Managing Director of NELFUND, Mr Akintunde Sawyerr, disclosed this on Thursday in a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja by the Fund’s Media and Public Relations Lead, Nasir Ayitogo.

Sawyerr said the opening of the portal marked a significant milestone in the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to foster accessible and inclusive education for all Nigerian students.

According to him, through the portal, students could now access loans to pursue their academic aspirations without financial constraints.

He added that the portal provides a user-friendly interface for students to submit their loan applications conveniently.

“We encourage all eligible students to take advantage of this opportunity to invest in their future and contribute to the growth and development of our nation,” he said.

Sawyerr urged students to access the portal on www.nelf.gov.ng to begin application.

Students loan application portal opens May 24 – NELFUND

Continue Reading

Education

UniAbuja Strike: CONUA dissociates self, says action baseless

Published

on

By

UniAbuja Strike: CONUA dissociates self, says action baseless

UniAbuja Strike: CONUA dissociates self, says action baseless

The Congress of University Academics (CONUA), University of Abuja Chapter has dissociated itself from the ongoing strike by the university branch of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

The Chairman, CONUA, University of Abuja Chapter, Prof. Abdul Buba, said this when the group paid a courtesy visit to the Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof. Abdul-Rasheed Na’Allah in Abuja on Friday.

Buba said the University system could not be grounded because it had no Governing Council, a decision that informed the industrial actions.

“We believe in stable academic calendar and that’s why we believe that there are other ways of handling labour issues rather than strike actions.

“CONUA addresses issues and not personalities. We also respect opinions of our members and not a predetermined objective of the leadership.

”We address issues without sentiments and meet with the right stakeholders in the pursue of our objectives.

“We are conscious of the negative effects of strikes, and we believe in deploying relevant strategies that will yield positive results in modern age of innovation,” he said.

He added that CONUA would continue to engage relevant stakeholders to pursue legitimate welfare for its members without dabbling with issues not of the concern to its members.

“The ongoing strike in place in the university, CONUA is not part of it because we believe in academic and service delivery.
“All these five points for the strike are baseless.

“Let me start with the issue of advertorial for the position of vice chancellor, initially if it were that the council is in place everything about employment both the employees and the principal officers start and end with the university governing council.

“But in the absence of the university governing council, the law has no provision for the vice chancellor to appoint any successor so it is the responsibility of the government to do that. So, there is no way the VC can be accused.

“This is because even the advertorial, if you watch and other advertorial that were placed by other universities, it was mentioning the ministry representing the government so this is baseless,” he said.

Also, the CONUA Secretary, Prof. Issa Abdulraheem, urged the union to focus on the welfare of its members which was the sole role of establishing a union.

“The union is established to cater for the welfare of its members, all the issues raised by the other union are baseless and have nothing to do with the staff welfare.

“And so we believe that we have ways of handling issues with stakeholders without sentiments of personalising issues. All the points raised by the other unions are not in the interest of its members,”he said.

On his part, the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Abdul-Rasheed Na’Allah, appreciated CONUA for its stance in not joining the strike, hoping that academic programme by ASUU would commence soon.

The reports gathered that the University of Abuja ASUU branch had embarked on a total and indefinite strike on May 2 over alleged university’s refusal to conduct elections for the office of the Dean’s of faculties and Provost College of Health Sciences.

The Union also accused the university of carrying out promotion of some staffers without following due process.

Other reasons for the strike, according to the Union include, “Advertorial of the vacancy of the post of the Vice Chancellor without following due process, among others.

UniAbuja Strike: CONUA dissociates self, says action baseless

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights